If you have an ice maker that isn’t working in Tacoma, Top Shelf can fix it—fast. We have 20 years of experience repairing ice makers, freezers and refrigerators, with same-day service and technicians who show up on time. Now serving customers across Pierce County, our only goal is to make your repair as convenient as possible.
Let Top Shelf Appliance Repair give you a FREE service call with any ice maker repair. Call us at 253-486-9072 and get your ice maker working today.
What are the most common ice maker problems in Tacoma?
Ice makers use many small components and can go wrong many ways. But the most common service calls we get in Tacoma include:
- Ice maker will not dispense ice
- An ice dispenser mounted on the outside of a fridge door will not dispense water
- The ice has a bad taste, bad smell, or both
Will I have to replace my entire ice maker?
In many cases, replacing the ice maker is the easiest way to go. Since ice makers are small, self-contained units, manufacturers don’t usually sell individual parts for them—the cost of buying and replacing the part would be about as high as replacing the whole thing. This is why our technicians will ask what make and model of ice maker/refrigerator you have, and try to show up with the replacement ice maker in-hand in case it’s needed.
There are some exceptions, however. In some cases the ice maker itself is actually fine, and the problem is coming from an external source. For example:
- There is not enough water pressure in the water line feeding the ice maker
- There is a problem with the water filter that feeds water to the ice maker
- The refrigerator/freezer has a failing inlet valve, which is the valve that takes water in from the water line
Our technicians will check these problems first, so that you don’t end up paying for a new ice maker you don’t need. We’ll inspect the inlet valve for signs of leaking or blockage, test the water pressure in the line, and make sure the water filter isn’t the problem. We will only replace the ice maker if it will definitively solve your problem.
What if the ice maker isn’t making ice?
There are several possible problems, but we’ll check to make sure it’s not a problem with the overall freezer first—or the water flow. If that’s not the case, then it’s possible the water filter has become plugged with sediment. We can test for this and replace it if needed. In rare cases, a water tube leading to the ice maker may have frozen. Simply thawing it out may fix the problem, or we can diagnose the underlying problem if needed.
What if my ice smells and tastes funny?
There are two main possibilities:
- The water filter needs to be changed. This is a quick, inexpensive fix (ideally, change your water filter every 6 months). A new water filter can create a night-and-day difference in how your ice tastes.
- The ice is absorbing smells/taste from food in the freezer or refrigerator. Cleaning both compartments, and getting rid of any old food, can fix the problem. You can try this yourself before even calling for a repair technician.
If the ice has white specks, these are harmless mineral deposits, but they are a sign that the water filter needs to be changed.
Can I troubleshoot my ice maker problem myself?
In some cases, yes. We recommend you check for common, basic problems that can be easily fixed. For example:
- Is the freezer plugged in, and does the outlet provide power?
- Is the freezer itself cold—has it been running for at least 24 hours?
- Is the ice maker actually connected to a water line? This will be a hose-like tube that connect to a valve on the back of your refrigerator/freezer.
- Is the water line turned on, and the valve is in the “open” position?
- For an in-freezer ice maker, is it turned “on” with the metal lever in the “down” position?
If none of these are the problem, there’s a good chance that a component is damaged or the entire ice maker should be replaced. This is rarely an expensive service call, and can typically be done in one visit. Don’t wait until you need ice for your party—call a professional right away.
Get Your Free Service Call Today
Ice makers make life more convenient, and save hassle every day. Let us make yours work again. Top Shelf is Tacoma’s friendly, fast, easy-to-work-with repair service. Your service call is FREE with your repair. Simply fill out the request form to your right or call us at 253-486-9072 and get your free service call today.