If you have a faulty or broken freezer in Tacoma and you need it fixed right away, Top Shelf is here to help. We have 20 years of experience repairing freezers and refrigerators, with same-day service and technicians who always run on time. Now serving all areas of Pierce County, your convenience is our highest priority.
Let Top Shelf Appliance Repair give you a FREE service call with any freezer repair. Call us at 253-486-9072 and get your freezer working today.
What are the most common freezer repairs in Tacoma?
There are many ways a freezer can stop working. The most common service calls we see involve:
- A freezer that doesn’t “turn on” or get cold at all
- A freezer that is running, but doesn’t stay cold or isn’t cold enough
- Freezers that build up way too much frost inside
Each of these problems can have multiple causes. Often, a component of the freezer isn’t working properly and needs to be replaced. While no freezer problem is fun, the good news is that all of these problems can be fixed in a single service visit, and many of them are not expensive to repair.
Why won’t my freezer turn on at all?
There are many possible causes, but if you’re sure the freezer is connected to a reliable power source, the problem is often a break in the wiring of the freezer itself. If this is the case, you will not hear the freezer “hum” and it will not get cold at all—not even cool. To repair it, the wiring has to be checked inch by inch for a break and then the break itself must be repaired.
Why doesn’t my freezer get cold enough?
This is the most common problem we see. If the freezer “turns” on but won’t get cold or stay cold, several things could be wrong:
- The compressor doesn’t work. In this case the freezer will not “hum” or it will not be a steady hum.
- If the compressor is humming, the condenser or evaporator coils may not be working properly. This is an inexpensive repair that can get your freezer ice-cold again in no time.
- In some cases, the evaporator coils may simply be frozen solid. This happens when frost builds up over them, and results in the “cold” being blocked and not really chilling the contents of the freezer. A defrost cycle can fix the problem temporarily, and a technician can diagnose the cause so it doesn’t happen again.
I have a freezer in Tacoma that has way too much frost. What’s wrong with it?
There are two main causes. Usually, it means the freezer isn’t automatically defrosting itself; it’s supposed to give itself a break every so often, which prevents frost buildup. The defrost heater or thermometer may need to be replaced, a short repair.
In other cases, the gaskets along the freezer door are leaky. They prevent humid outside air from leaking into the freezer, so if they are old and worn out, frost builds up. This is less common but also an easy repair.
Can I troubleshoot my freezer myself?
It depends. In some cases, what appears to be a serious problem with the freezer at first is actually easy to troubleshoot. Things you should check if your freezer isn’t freezing include:
- Is it plugged in?
- Do other devices worked if plugged into the same outlet?
- Is the temperature dial set low enough in the freezer itself? Can you turn it down?
- Is the freezer in “defrost mode?”
If the freezer is currently in defrost, it could take hours before it runs cold again, but you can speed this up by manually advancing the defrost timer. If the defrost timer has an actual dial, you can simply advance it forward to the end of its cycle. If not, you may have to locate the defrost pinion and use a screwdriver to turn it clockwise to the end of the cycle. Be gentle. Once you do this, it should finish defrosting within an hour and begin to get ice cold again.
If nothing on this checklist is wrong, then we recommend you talk to a freezer repair professional. Our service techs can also help troubleshoot these minor issues on a service call. More serious repairs also require a professional—the freezer may need sensitive electronic parts replaced, or have other problems that are hard to diagnose and repair for a layman. Don’t wait until food starts to spoil—get a service call immediately.
Get Your Free Service Call Today
A broken freezer can ruin your day—and your groceries. Let us fix it. We are friendlier, faster, and easier to work with than other repair services in Tacoma. Your service call is FREE with your repair. Simply fill out the request form to your right or call us at 253-486-9072 and get your free service call today.